/* */ Beulah Bee: Memento Mori

October 18, 2015

Memento Mori


I can't recall how I recently came across this image but it resonated with me because, at the time, my back was killing me from overdoing it during a new yoga class. And I suppose, given it's almost Halloween, I thought it would be fun to alter it somehow while channeling my inner pain.

I was curious about the symbolism so I Googled the text and discovered that it's Latin for a phrase in the Bible (Romans 5:12) and is an example of Memento Mori (a medieval Latin theory) which in art, is artistic or symbolic reminders of mortality.

As I worked to cut-out the image I admired the skill of the illustrator and wondered what he may have created if modern materials (that we take for granted) were available to him. Perhaps the Dark Ages wouldn't have been so dark but still there's much beauty in just using pen and ink.

Click to Enlarge
It was pasted on to scrapbook paper and tinted a bit to provide some contrast. To bring out the holiday theme I used black Stickles.

My back is now much improved and I will keep this image in my head as a reminder not to over do it in future exercise classes!

I'm linking to Our Creative Corner where this month's challenge is Halloween Horror.