July 24, 2017


Simon's Monday challenge this week is "You've Got the Edge."

And what has a more distinctive edge than a postage stamp?

Philatelists (people who collect stamps) use magnifying glasses and special gauges (like the one pictured below) to count the number of perforations for correct classification.

So, for my spotlight this week, I decided to make a postage stamp album using an Idea-ology Worn Binder (Notebook) and filled it with pages of postage stamps. See if you can spot the real ones!

The binder was stained with Distress, stamped (Correspondence and Legacy Lower Case), taped (Journey and Aristocrat) and collaged using a real postage stamp and ephemera (Snippets).

A wide variety of products were used to make the stamps including stamp punches (Uchi's Design Stamp Embossing Punch), rubber stamps (Tiny Things), paper stash (Dapper, Correspondence), Ranger archival inks, Versafine pigment ink, Prismacolor pencils, off-white acrylic paint and micro-fine pens (Sakura).

I printed a border on multiple sheets of off-white paper made to fit the binder to give the appearance of vintage postage stamp album pages. I used my trusty old Smith Corona typewriter to document my collection (adding a fair-share of tongue-in-cheek in the process).

Some of the stamp shapes were made from real postage that I covered with off-white paint--it's amazing how tough the paper is. Did you know that to remove the vintage gummed postage from an envelope you only have to soak it in water and it comes right off? Once dry, it's ready to mount in your album (or artwork?) with no harm done.

My stamps were mounted on dark gray construction paper to mimic the mounting squares (which highlight the perforated edges) in real stamp albums. I used a glue stick for all my pasting.

I have extra blank pages and expect to add to my collection in the future especially when I have interesting left-over snippets from other projects. It's a bit like journaling but on really tiny paper. So fun!!

Please join us for this week's challenge!

If you upload your creation to the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog you'll have a chance to win a $50 voucher at the Simon Says Stamp store!

Here's a list of most of the products I used for this challenge:

July 17, 2017


This is my mother's recipe box. Kind of sad, huh? She would say, "The contents are more important than the container."

But it seriously needed a make-over and since the theme for Simon's Monday Challenge Blog this week is Get In Shape, I decided to give the box a face lift (and won't she be surprised?!).

First came a good scrub down--scraping off the white stuff (it was paint) and lightly sanding the entire surface to prep for painting with a "multi-surface" off-white acrylic craft paint.

Sections from the Wallflower paper stash were cut to size, matte Modge Podge was used to attach them and I gave the paper's top surface a protective coat using matte Perfect Paper Adhesive.

Using design tape from the Idea-ology Rose collection, I trimmed-out all the box edges. Even though the tape is quite sticky, I used a quick dry PVC adhesive (Aleene's Tacky Glue) to make sure it stays put.

More pieces of design tape from the Rose and Butterfly collections were placed randomly over the surface of the paper (ala-collage).

Final touches came from thin black satin craft ribbon attached with fabric glue along with a rhinestone button, rescued by my great Aunt Esther, and kept in a button box that I inherited.

The button was attached only to the lid so it can still be opened. Now all I need to do is make some new index card dividers. I'll let mom do the alphabetizing!


I really hope you'll join us for this week's challenge--the theme is so versatile with endless possibilities. What will you come up with?

The creation you upload to the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog will give you a chance to win a $50 voucher at the Simon Says Stamp store!

Here's a list of products I used for this challenge:

July 10, 2017

An Original

It's week number two for me in the Designer Spotlight at Simon Says Stamp's Monday Challenge Blog. So exciting!

The theme is Distress It so I gave an inexpensive 4-inch chip brush some vintage style. Here's the before and after:

I clear embossed the handle using the Stampers Anonymous French Collage stamp then applied a heavy coat of Peacock Feathers Distress stain. Once dry, I ironed off the embossing and used Vintage Photo stain in random places.

I tinted the bristles by soaking them in a really strong solution of blue-green watercolor paint. After it dried, I brushed the tips through dark brown acrylic paint.

I covered the ferrule with a strip from the Aristocrat design tape collection (Idea-ology), used copper embossing powder in the bottom section and tinted the rest of the shiny parts with Ranger's Mushroom alcohol ink. I trimmed out the top with tiny dots made with copper-colored paint.

The edges of Tim's Baroque frame were embossed with copper powder and the other areas tinted with Mushroom alcohol ink. The gent inside came from Idea-ology's Dapper stash (it's part of a cigar box label). The four is an Idea-ology Number Brad.

I topped my brush with scrap jewelry pieces attached with string (tinted with Distress ink) and an Idea-ology Quote Chip that was altered with sanding, tinting and copper embossing.


Please join us for this week's challenge!

If you upload your creation to the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog you'll have a chance to win a $50 voucher at the Simon Says Stamp store!

Here's a list of some the products I used for this challenge: