July 10, 2017

An Original


It's week number two for me in the Designer Spotlight at Simon Says Stamp's Monday Challenge Blog. So exciting!


The theme is Distress It so I gave an inexpensive 4-inch chip brush some vintage style. Here's the before and after:


I clear embossed the handle using the Stampers Anonymous French Collage stamp then applied a heavy coat of Peacock Feathers Distress stain. Once dry, I ironed off the embossing and used Vintage Photo stain in random places.

I tinted the bristles by soaking them in a really strong solution of blue-green watercolor paint. After it dried, I brushed the tips through dark brown acrylic paint.

I covered the ferrule with a strip from the Aristocrat design tape collection (Idea-ology), used copper embossing powder in the bottom section and tinted the rest of the shiny parts with Ranger's Mushroom alcohol ink. I trimmed out the top with tiny dots made with copper-colored paint.

The edges of Tim's Baroque frame were embossed with copper powder and the other areas tinted with Mushroom alcohol ink. The gent inside came from Idea-ology's Dapper stash (it's part of a cigar box label). The four is an Idea-ology Number Brad.

I topped my brush with scrap jewelry pieces attached with string (tinted with Distress ink) and an Idea-ology Quote Chip that was altered with sanding, tinting and copper embossing.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please join us for this week's challenge!

If you upload your creation to the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog you'll have a chance to win a $50 voucher at the Simon Says Stamp store!




Here's a list of some the products I used for this challenge:


22 comments:

  1. Fabulous altered art Cathie! I love how you distressed the brush and changed an ordinary, quite boring, brush into a gorgeous work of art! I am going to go and get me one of these brushes now! AMAZEBALLS!! :-)

    luv
    Lols x x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your altered paintbrush! It is distressed but still elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is amazing! I just love how much detail you put into every project. Love the colors and addition of jewelry pieces.

    Cathie ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is just amazing! I love the color and vintage style. Biggest congratulations on your SSS guest spot! Woo hoo! Hugs, Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! The result is unexpected! The color of the brush is so fabulous. Love the main embellishment and the metal frame. Great! Hugs, Macarena

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool! I like the idea to decorate the brush. The person in the picture is the german poet Johann Wolfgang von Goethe. Who is very well known.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this project. You did an amazing job. Love the brush art as of late. :) Thank you sharing this lovely piece of art.

    ReplyDelete
  8. fabulous vintage inspired altered paintbrush!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, this is such an interesting piece with all of the work you've put into it... bravo, Bee! Congrats on your GD spot... you look great at SSS!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How gorgeous! Love the color you dyed it! :)

    *mwah*
    Steph
    Simon Says Stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a great project! I love how you've totally transformed the paintbrush into a work of art! Colors are gorgeous, and lovely touches! hugs, Maura

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! You could not have picked a more appropriate word than "original" for this project! This is absolutely and wonderfully unique and all its own. I always love the stories that your projects tell and this is no exception!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This altered paint brush is amazing! Love the color and the medaillon with the dapper gent! And the Quote Chip looks gorgeous. Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is such a gorgeous creation! Love your brilliant design!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow I love it it's so beautiful, from a simple brush you have created a piece of art, wonderful. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a wonderful piece of art...this is just wonderful and I love the colour you've used on this project ~ everything is just perfect and reminds me of a beautiful French artefact!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This s amazing, gorgeous in every way!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a fantastic idea to alter a big paint brush like this. I love it! The finish and colours and all the special touches are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. this is such an amazing transformation of an old paintbrush...love all the texture and detail...may be heading out to the tool shed...hugs kath xxx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such a stunning transformation! I love the color palette you choose! Everything looks so old yet so brand new! Your touch is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your altered paint brush is stunning! love the way you created this! Resist technique is one of my favorite and it's perfect on this work! Wonderful as always! Barbara

    ReplyDelete