/* */ Beulah Bee: Sea Spell

July 04, 2014

Sea Spell


I had so much fun making this tag! Inspired by Tim's tag for July, I can't believe how many products I used to complete it. I dusted off crackle paint, glitter, and embossing powders that haven't been used since Christmas. The background was splattered and spritzed and wiped-off so many times I lost count. I knew getting it right would be a challenge so I coated the tag with gesso beforehand.

It was also the perfect time to use some sea-themed papers that I picked up several year's ago and never used. The sea horse and sand dollars came from a release by Graphic 45 called Botanicabella. The shells and greenery are Calambour decoupage paper bought at a craft fair.

Instead of using a shrink plastic background, I used the Falling Snow stencil by Simon Says Stamp and embossing powder to create a resist. The sandy area is a variety of embossing powders sprinkled onto tissue paper then cut out and pasted to the tag.


There's a bit of clear rock candy Distress glitter over a few shells and leaf edges and I completed the tag with a quote by Jacques Cousteau that was printed and aged with inks.

Tim suggested that if you can't go to the beach then let your creativity take you there. Maybe that's the biggest reason this tag was so appealing to me. I've been land-locked all my life and yet my astrological sign is Cancer the Crab. Every time I've visited the ocean I have had such a connection! Maybe some day I'll make it there again and be part of it's wonder, forever.